Roselle

Rusellae was an ancient town of Etruria (now Tuscany), which survived until the Middle Ages before being abandoned. The ruins lie in the modern frazione of Roselle in the comune of Grosseto.

Rusellae was associated with, but not actually one of, the twelve cities of the Etruscan Confederation.The Romans captured it in 294 BC. In 205 BC, it contributed grain and timber for the fleet of Scipio Africanus. A colony was founded here either by the Triumviri or by Augustus.
In 935 it is reported that the town was destroyed by Saracens. It was not rebuilt because of a malaria epidemic.

The place was deserted in 1138, although still occasionally used. The episcopal see was transferred to Grosseto, which is now the provincial capital.

The area is now under cultivation, and the ruins themselves are now thickly overgrown, although the walls are in places well preserved. They are embanking walls, nearly 2 miles in circumference, with a low breastwork in places. The walls consist of somewhat irregular, unworked blocks of travertine often measuring as much as 2.75 × 1.2 m (9 × 4 ft). Smaller pieces are inserted in the gaps between blocks. A Roman cistern is visible. Roman remains have also been found 3 km to the south, at hot springs used for public bathing to this day.


 

Vetulonia

Vetulonia, formerly called Vetulonium (Etruscan Vatluna), was an ancient town of Etruria, Italy, the site of which is probably occupied by the modern village of Vetulonia, which up to 1887 bore the name of Colonnata and Colonna di Buriano: the site is currently a frazione of the comune of Castiglione della Pescaia, with some 400 inhabitants.

It lies 300m above sea level, about ten miles directly northwest of Grosseto, on the northeast side of the hills which project from the flat Maremma and form the promontory of Castiglione.

Vetulonia has Etruscan origins. Dionysius of Halicarnassus places the city within the Latin alliance against Rome in the seventh century BC. According to Silius Italicus (Punica VIII.485ff), the Romans adopted their magisterial insignia, the Lictors' rods and fasces and the curule seat, from Vetulonia; in 1898, a tomb in the necropolis was discovered with a bundle of iron rods with a double-headed axe in the centre, and soon afterwards, a grave stela inscribed for Avele Feluske was discovered, on which the fasces were pictured.

 

From Wikipedia under Licenza Creative Commons